Monday, November 23, 2009

Clay Head Studios and the Art of Hanneke Danielle Relyea in NOLA

One of the best aspects of the Society of Biblical Literature meeting this year is that it is in New Orleans. I probably attended a panel and a half total. My schedule was packed with interviews and other events on Saturday and Sunday. It was a misty, cloudy, and rainy weekend. It felt like the U.K., but perhaps a bit warmer. But Monday the sun came out and I was able to wander through the French Quarter--not that I didn't wander before, but it was more enjoyable in the sunshine. After a plate of beignets and a cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde, my attention was caught by these beautiful prints/paintings--they are monoprints--of silhouetted trees against a marbled, colorful background. The colors were rich and deep, yet still caught a nice contrast against the foregrounded black trees. The trees had few leaves and the roots were in full view, exposed, just like so much became both covered and exposed after Hurricane Katrina. I spoke to the artist, hanneke danielle relyea of clay head studios, at length about her process and the different aspects of her work.

Find her beautiful prints for purchase here. I thought the work she had with her was even more stunning that the online examples. If you are in NOLA on a weekend, you might catch her around Jackson Square.

(I have in no way been asked by the artist or her studio to promote her work, nor have I been compensated in any way.)

No comments: