Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Transformation in the Gospel of Philip: God and the Senses (6a: Sources)

In my next installment(s) of the God and the Senses series, I will be taking a look at the emergent Christian text, the Gospel of Philip.  I do not have the time, at the moment, to work through all of it because emphases on different senses and using the senses as a means of spiritual transformation, permeates throughout the Gospel.  For now, therefore, I will list the sources where you can find them if anyone would like to look them up, and I will begin to work through the different senses as I find time. 

1.  Taste and Transformation (Sayings 21, 73, 81, 82)

2.  Vision and Transformation (Sayings 23, 38; cf. 59, 90, 107)

3.  Touching/Kissing (27, 48)

4.  Smelling (94)

5  Hearing (and Naming?) (7, 8, 9, 17, 29, 40, 42, 46, 51)

From the listing, at least, it appears that hearing receives the most attention of all of the senses in Philip.  The passages on vision are themselves also quite stunning--which would come as no surprise to anyone who has studied the text.  Smelling and Touching receive rather momentary glances.  But perhaps the biggest surprise is the number of mentions of tasting.  It is with taste that I plan to begin in the next installment.  If anyone finds an additional sensuous saying not covered, please send it along.

No comments: