Thursday, February 21, 2013

When You are a Dreamer, I am Your Dream

One of the benefits of reading a lot of German scholarship the past six months--a lot more than I typically do anyway--is that my reading comprehension is much higher and, therefore, it spills over into other, more enjoyable fields, such as poetry. 

So, putting my German to good, and more relaxing, use, I have been reading some Rilke.  And I repeatedly return to this poem from The Book of Hours, which, so far, is one of my favorites:
Ich bin, du Ängstlicher.  Hörst due mich nicht
mit allen meinen Sinnen an dir branden?
Meine Gefühle, welche Flügel fanden,
Siehst du nicht meine Seele, wie sie dicht
vor dir in einem Kleid aus Stille steht?
Reift nicht meine mailiches Gebet
an deinem Blicke wie an einem Baum?

Wenn du der Träumer bist, bin ich dein Traum.
Doch wenn du wachen willst, bin ich dein Wille
und werde mächtig aller Herrlichkeit
und ründe mich wie eine Sternenstille
über der wunderlichen Stadt der Zeit.

No comments: