Monday, August 25, 2008

What You've Been Reading Lately

I am fascinated by what brings people to this website. Most people visit antiquitopia from google searches of particular issues, although I am very happy to see regulars visit and comment on particular posts.

The most popular posts are quite diverse, and perhaps reflect the breadth of my own interests--although all relate in some way (sometimes tangential) to religion, antiquity, or the state of the university.

Topping the list at the moment is the posting on the US News & World Report college rankings. For those attracted to this post, I highly recommend reading my book note on Frank Donoghue's The Last Professors.

Secondly, the most consistently read page is the series of quotations regarding religion and liminality in Chuck Palahniuk's Rant. Lots of Palahniuk fans out there, I can see.

Thirdly, people have been interested in the Revelation of Gabriel. I would recommend following the links on this subject posted by April Deconick at Forbidden Gospels and Jim Davila at Paleojudaica (their bloglinks are listed on the side). In fact, lately, Israel Knohl, the scholar who offered the controversial translation, has responded to DeConick's questions on her site here.

Finally, people continue to check out my quotations of the Epic of Gilgamesh here. If you are interested in ancient near eastern issues, you might be interested in my postings on ancient Ugarit.

So, the state of the university, a mind-twisting novel, a disputed text, and ancient near eastern epic interest you all. I just hope I can continue to attract your roaming eyes.

No comments: