Friday, July 4, 2008

Freudian Slippers


So, one of my new favorite websites is the Unemployed Philosopher's Guild, newly added to my "oft-visited" sites, where you can buy, among many other fascinating items, these "Freudian Slippers." If you go to the cups and mug section, I have the "Jesus Saves" / "Jesus Shaves" mug. It is a great mug. Firstly, it says "Jesus saves," while Jesus holds a pair of scissors and coupons. But when you pour hot liquid into the mug, the scissors and coupons disappear along with Jesus' beard! Where the coupons previously were, you see a razor. And the "Jesus Saves" turns into "Jesus Shaves." For a demonstration, see here.

I think I could go broke by buying the mugs on this site. I like the Descartes one as well. Descartes is sitting at his desk, and says his famous line, "I think therefore I am" (cogito ergo sum). You pour in hot liquid, and the saying switched to "I think not," and Descartes disappears! The Shakespearean insults mug looks tempting as well. And, well, I usually do not wear slippers, but for the Freudian Slip/pers, I would make an exception!

No comments: