Sunday, July 13, 2008

Many Concerts: Melissa Etheridge and Bon Jovi

Having not been to a concert for a long time (I actually just don't remember the last time I had been to a concert), I went to no less than TWO in just a few days time.

On Wednesday night, I went to see Melissa Etheridge in concert at the WaMu theater at Madison Square Garden. It was a blast. She has a lot of bluesy elements in her music, a dash of folksy, in an overarching framework of rock 'n roll. In the end, she puts on a really good show, and seems to connect well with her audience. One of the fringe benefits of being a male at her concert is that the line for the men's bathroom was nonexistent. Tons of middle-aged women there... And I had never been to the Garden before, so it was a new experience.

Then last night we happened into some tickets for the free Bon Jovi concert on the Great Lawn of Central Park--this concert was in conjunction with All Star week, since the All Star game is going to be played in Yankee Stadium this year. There were something like 50,000 people there! It was packed, but not really crazy. I knew more of his songs than at the other concert. And it was a perfect night for a concert. It wasn't too hot, low humidity, and a nice breeze. We got a good spot on the lawn (on the grass rather than the dirt, which was nice). Bon Jovi was just a little dot in our line of vision, but the multiple megatrons around the stage made this less of an issue.

It is weird to be a person who rarely ever goes to concerts and just happen to get tickets twice in the same week, but I'm not complaining! I had a good time at both! And I'm looking forward to the other opportunities that NYC offers in the summertime.

No comments: