Thursday, November 13, 2008

Managing the Meme

In a strange variation of forwarded emails but only using links on blogs, Ken Schenck of Quadrilateral Thoughts, Professor of Religion and Philosophy at Indiana Wesleyan University, fellow Hebrews enthusiast, and a man with a recent unhealthy obsession with the anti-Christ (he's just not going to call back; give it up!), has "memed" me with the following rules (which I just copied and pasted from his site):

1. Link to the person who tagged you (check, see above).

2. Post the rules on your blog (making this line a post within a post).

3. Write six random things about yourself (see below).

4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them (further below).

5. Let each person know they've been tagged and leave a comment on their blog (if I ever get around to it).

6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up (if it ever is).

Six wonderfully random or randomly wonderful things about me:

1. I get a sparkle-in-the-eye enjoyment out of telling my students that Monty Python's Life of Brian is completely historically accurate.

2. I have a certain degree of intellectual ADD: I can't read more than about ten pages of a book without getting bored and starting to read another book. (I do finish books, but I am generally reading about ten at the same time).

3. I always blog when I am avoiding grading: right now I am avoiding grading papers I just received on deceptive, cunning language in ancient Greek literature.

4. I have a slight obsession with Ben Franklin. I wrote my undergrad senior honors thesis on his female pseudonyms (yes, he had female pseudonyms). Did you know he invented the public library? Of course, the follow-up question is, how did I end up in ancient religion?

5. I absolutely LOVE Starburst candy...and popcorn...and ice cream....

6. I paint. And my favorite painter is Van Gogh. And I just saw a wonderful exhibit at MoMa of Van Gogh's night paintings. Ah, I miss the stars at night ever since I moved to NYC.

Any surprises?

So....whom to tag? I will tag a certain anonymous blogger at Cohort 12 Fellow, Justin Dombrowski at Ad Fontes (although he rarely blogs...so maybe he won't read this), Jodi and Maccabee at Curdistan, Liam at Sententiae et Clamores, Wade at Evolution of the Mystery, and April at Forbidden Gospels. I'll try to get around to letting you all know you've been memed by me! Muahaha!

2 comments:

Ken Schenck said...

So sorry to interrupt your grading with this purgatory. McGrath tasked me.

Do you mean that Life of Brian isn't historically accurate??!!

I share your book ADD. But it sounds like you get more finished than I do! But the 10 at a time thing really works...

Jared Calaway said...

All of it is accurate except for the sermon on the mount.