In an earlier post , I had noted Moses' importance in Greco-Egyptian magic, riffing off of a statement that John Gager made. I wrote: The Moses of the magical papyri provides another piece of the puzzle of what Jews, Christians, and others on the ground thought, what they did, and, again, reasons for his exaltation and, just as often, suppression. It is a clear example, here, of exaltation. I wonder, what Christians did with this view of Moses as magician? Does his exaltation here mirror his exaltation in contemporary Christian sources of the mid-second to fourth centuries? How does it compare with contemporary Egyptian Christian sources of different opposing parties of the hierarchy, the monks, and the traditions of Nag Hammadi? Indeed, it is fascinating territory into which the magical Moses takes us. It is a messy, difficult terrain, but ultimately a fruitful one. In this post, I would like to delve a little deeper in the Mose...
Comments
Secret Scrolls: Revelations from the Lost Gospel Novels by Robert M. Price
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Scrolls-Revelations-Gospel-Novels/dp/1610970756/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
Price's book mentions Kazantzakis' Last Temptation but does not devote a chapter to it, because K. did not mention the discovery of any additional ancient scrolls.
Aside from Kazantzakis' work, one might try The Prophet by Gibran, that has been translated into many languages, and even parodized in a little book titled The Profit.
There's also a true story about a psychiatrist who was treating three people in the same asylum who all thought they were Jesus Christ. The Three Christs of .... (I forget the rest of the title).
And speaking of people who think they are Jesus look up "Jerusalem syndrome."